Duke of Edinburgh
Balance the fun, adventure and challenge of the Duke of Ed NSW program with the safety of using an experienced supervisor to oversee bushwalking journeys. A Duke of Edinburgh NSW expedition is a journey with a destination, where the major focus is on the journey itself. We enable this by minimising risk and teaching participants the required skills to reach their goal safely.
- SILVER & GOLD: Tuesday 7th – Friday 10th April 2015 : Great North Walk – Patonga to Yarramalong SG. Download the GNW 3 Patonga to Yarramalong SG Itinerary ** ONLY 4 PLACES LEFT (as at 30/3) **
- SILVER & GOLD: Monday 13th – Thursday 16th April 2015 : Great North Walk – Yarramalong to Watagans HQ SG. Download the GNW 4 Yarramalong to Watagans HQ SG Itinerary ** ONLY 5 PLACES LEFT (as at 30/3) **
- BRONZE: Saturday 27th – Sunday 28th June 2015 : Royal National Park – Heathcote loop via Kingfisher Pool. Download the RNP4 Heathcote loop via Kingfisher Pool B Itinerary.
- SILVER & GOLD: Friday 3rd – Monday 6th July 2015 : Royal National Park – Loftus to Waterfall / Heathcote SG. Download the RNP5 Loftus to Heathcote SG Itinerary
- SILVER & GOLD: Thursday 9th – Saturday 12th July 2015 : Great North Walk – Yarramalong to Watagans HQ SG. Download the GNW 4 Yarramalong to Watagans HQ SG Itinerary
- SILVER & GOLD: Saturday 19th – Tuesday 22nd September 2015 : Great North Walk Hornsby to Brooklyn SG. Download the GNW 2 Hornsby to Brooklyn SG Itinerary
- SILVER & GOLD: Thursday 29th September – Sunday 2nd October 2015: Great North Walk – Patonga to Yarramalong. Download the GNW 3 Patonga to Yarramalong SG Itinerary
$85.00 per participant, per day. Includes National Park entry fees, camping fees and GST.
Minimum 10 students are required for the expedition to go ahead at these prices. If there are less than 10 participants, the day rate of $850 will apply, shared equally among all participants.
Download and return the 2015 Booking and Medical form. To stay in touch, please sign up to our quarterly Duke of Ed newsletter at the bottom of this page.
Nominate your preferred date and award level and we ‘ll look after the rest. We ‘ll also conduct a thorough pre-trip briefing session at any school in Sydney – $150 inc GST.
Duke of Ed Supervisors
Sydney Coast Walks has overseen Duke of Edinburgh’s Award expeditions since 2009. We have walked the routes numerous times and conducted thorough risk analyses. Our supervisors’ passion for the outdoors is balanced with a strong sense of responsibility to the group and the environment. They are trained to recognise and avoid potential risks or emergency situations and to effectively manage group dynamics. They hold Senior or Remote Area First Aid certificates and carry satellite phones, two-way radios and a GPS tracker. We carefully select expedition routes for the different levels of the Duke of Ed Award Adventurous Journey and vary the routes each year. Each provides the right level of challenge for the participant and are iconic Greater Sydney bush walks. Our preferred routes are mostly defined tracks that still require navigation skills to satisfy the Duke of Ed criteria.
Just finished a section of the Great North Walk for our school’s Duke of Ed. What a beautiful walk! A little challenging. I just wanted to say thank you for choosing John and Leonie to guide our group. They immediately built a positive rapport with the students and staff. They are passionate, compassionate and show endless patience. Just wanted to show my huge appreciation for all they did, above and beyond just guiding the walk. - Ruth Doyle, Teacher, Rouse Hill Anglican College
It was a highly enriching experience for me, both in terms of expanding my comfort zone and personal limits. Not only was it physically demanding and at times painful, but it required much psychological persistence and steely determination to keep going at the toughest times. But the fact that I did, and completed it, has made me appreciate and recognise my capabilities and potential, which I hope will become a valuable asset for me in life. Many thanks to Ian and Rachel for being such supportive and compassionate supervisors, and to Sydney Coast Walks for making this journey such an enjoyable and insightful experience! – Alison Zhou, Sydney Girls High School